Monday, July 20, 2009

Feedback and Heart Attacks


I like to take a moment and thank all of you that have either e-mailed me or made comments on the blog. Because I had no idea how to create a blog, upload pictures or anything else, the project has been more work that I had thought. However, I have enjoyed trying to put down my impressions of where we have been, what we have seen and the food we’ve eaten and the joints we visited. My purpose in writing has been two-fold. I am not only sharing my thoughts with all of you all I am trying to keep a daily log of our experiences so that one day I can look back and remember. One of the things that has happened as I have grown older is my memory is not what it once was. I find if I don’t write things down they are gone.

Of all the things that have happened on the trip, one of the highlights has been reading your e-mails and comments. Every single night I sit with a smile on my face and often I find myself laughing out loud at how right on point you are and how humorous your comments have been. Those reading the blog and sending me feedback comprise the full range of the American political spectrum. Some of you are to the right of Attila the Hun and some a little left of Lenin, most are somewhere in between, but all of you are bright, incisive and funny. When last I checked there were nine people signed up following the blog. There are about two dozen more that read it and every day and most days about half give me their thoughts on what I have written. I have the advantage of knowing all of you and appreciating what a truly diverse group you are. So keep your comments coming.

As most of you know, this September will mark the eighth anniversary of my heart attack and six way coronary bypasses. Every morning I religiously take the eight pill cocktail that helps to keep me alive. This morning as I sorted through my meds I recalled an e-mail I received on this trip telling me that taking a trip of more than 7,000 miles to eat barbeque and Mexican food may not be the regimen my cardiologist would recommend. You think? I do not want to be flippant about your concern; I love you for caring enough about me to tell me to take care. To be serious for a moment, I will never forget how scared I was before the surgery, how much it just flat out hurt and how long it took me to recover. Trust me, I do remember. I think that all of our lives ultimately end the same, some sooner than others but at the end of the day, the reaper awaits. I have decided that before that time comes I am going to try and remember what it has all been about. I am going to feed my senses. Cheering as hard as I can for my Gators, seeing beauty, talking to my children and grandchildren, tasting wonderful food, appreciating good music and having the love of my friends. All of it matters more to me than ever before. So I guess I will always tell the joke, share the cold beer and hope we beat those damned Seminoles

2 comments:

  1. That was a very touching blog. I believe we should take precautions to prolong our living, but if we aren't enjoying life then what would be the point? That is why I am so grateful my mom has you. I love that she gets to go on these trips. I know what her face must look like when she sees all these places, but I also know she is happy just sitting on the couch next to you. So basically I love you for loving her and thank you for taking her off my hands! :) lol. Oh by the way....I'm Attila the Hun aren't I?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just returned from "Wally World" with a sack full of meds designed to keep me out of the ER and OR. As I sit here absorbing your post I found it not only uproarously humorous, but also very profound. Not calling you an old fart, but with age comes wisdom.

    I agree with you completely. I take just enough meds to keep me above ground so I can enjoy more Gator games, travel, time with my Punkin' and time at the bar (wherever that bar may be) for great conversation and fellowship with friends like you.

    God bless you my friend and keep on bloggin'!

    J

    ReplyDelete