Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Maybe you really can't roller skate in a buffalo herd


Today we were in the car a little longer than average. We left Bigfork, Montana around 8 AM, the drive south was remarkable for the number of large lakes that are so close to the highway and the number of luxury homes that people have built either on the lakes or on the mountainsides overlooking the lakes. There is a lot of money in this world and I find myself always muttering “what in hell do these people do for a living?” There just cannot be that many drug dealers. Can there be? Oh well, I am big into class envy.

Another thought that has been running through my mind since arriving in Montana, and for that matter while driving through Utah and Idaho as well. These people out here are so kind, and they have such a high quality of life, what in the hell are people living in a sewer like Washington D.C. doing trying to tell them how to live and to manage their affairs. I know, calm down Larry, I promised Jeannie I want go off on a rant.

Our GPS, you will recall the comparison to a “drunk riding a mule backwards,” anyhow the GPS surprisingly routed us to within fifteen miles of the western entrance to Yellowstone. We had not planned on going through the park this trip, but when you are that close there is no way we were going to miss it. Opting to go through was definitely the right decision. Jeannie got some great pictures of a momma bald eagle trying to teach her young one to fly. The nest was high in a tree but not too far from the road. The young eagle would cautiously approach the edge of the nest, stand on it and spread its wings but then topple back into the nest. All the time the momma sat there looking regal as only eagles can. The momma would spread her wings, flap them and peck at the younger bird, but alas courage failed the young eaglet and flight would have to wait for another day. We also saw Old Faithful do its thing. According to the park ranger the geyser has only been erupting every ninety minutes or so for about 630,000 years. When you consider recorded history is only a few thousand years that is a pretty good run. I’m not sure I understand applauding the geyser; I mean it is going to come back for an encore whether or not you clap. We saw a large buffalo walking in the road, I admire their style. They remind me of some folks in a super market parking lot. You know what I mean? slowly walking, big butt swinging, Traffic backing up? Too bad! Me hurry? Not a chance! The buffalo waited until there was about a two mile back up of traffic, swung his head around and took a look, nodded, he was probably thinking that seems about right and wandered off into the woods his job done for the day. We also went out on the boardwalk by the boiling mud pits and smaller geysers. Signs are posted everywhere about the danger but inevitably some genius gets off the path and is scalded to death. They said they lose about a dozen or so each year and far more get badly burned. I mean, hello! That is boiling water with steam rising up, hear the rumble? Smell the sulfur? You may not want to dive in something that is on fire, but that’s just me. But what the hell go ahead knock you’re self out, heck maybe it won’t burn you because you are sooo special! I have to wonder what Lewis and Clark, later the mountain men and other early explorers thought when they saw the very ground boiling? The literature says it was all due to volcanic activity and that the geysers, hot springs and the like are indicative of continuing pressure. I sure hope it waits another million years or so before it decides to show off again. We, meaning us humans, are nothing when compared to real power and the nature’s ability to change things in an instant. We saw herds of elk grazing, lots of folks were fly fishing in the mountain streams and all in all it was a super day.

Jeannie is the photographer, in the parks I am usually driving so she is the person who leaps from the car and fearlessly snaps the pictures. She is having a wonderful time, we both are. When we entered Yellowstone, she was literally bouncing up and down with excitement. She called Jennifer and told her about the young eagle learning to fly, as soon as she did it I knew they were both going to cry. But hey, a tender heart is a good thing, a very good thing

1 comment:

  1. 1st- When I get on to read these blogs I always start at the last one I read so that I can read them in order so I'm sorry if I repeat things.
    2nd- This is by far the funniest blog yet. I laughed so hard I freaked out the dogs.
    3rd- If my mom was in charge of the GPS it didn't "just happen" to take you 15 feet away from the opening..... ;)
    4th- Since I just commented that the picture of the baby eagle learning to fly made me cry I guess I can't deny doing it over the phone.
    5th- I forgot to mention earlier to tell my mom I of course love her too and I'm glad you guys will be in "armadillo" by morning.

    ReplyDelete