Friday, July 10, 2009

Out in the west Texas town of El Paso, I fell in love....


I think the songs says "I fell in love with a Mexican girl". In my case the lyrics would be "I fell in love anew with Mexican food." Jeannie told me her late Mother-in-law used to take her and the children to a small cafe called "kikis". She said the food was out of this world. I went on line and read reviews of Kiki's as serving "the best Mexican food in North America" and stories of people driving hundred of miles to eat there. Our route to Sante Fe is via I-10 and passes through El Paso, so a short detour and we were at la puerta de Kiki's. In 1969 my brother took me to a Mexican restaurant in the Mission district of San Francisco. The place had once been a home, proof being a footed bathtub in the men's room. Until tonight, that food, some forty years ago was the best Mexican food I have ever tasted. Which is the best, I don't know, but they would be first and second, in what order? You pick'em. In the kitchen, there is a grandmother making taco shells by hand, what she uses or how she does it, I have no idea, but the shells are both crispy and soft. Tacos have never been my favorite, a shell, meat, some lettuce, tomatoes and cheese...that's a taco. Wrong! I was so totally wrong. If you can make a lowly taco memorable, you can cook mamacita. Anyhow, two red cheese enchiladas, a chile relleno, uno taco and a flauta comprised my sampler platter. Wonderful, really great food from a small, unassuming family place that has been doing it for many years. On a scale from one to five, I would give it a solid six. Jeannie has a different vote, she cleaned her plate in record time and her picture is now posted. Jennifer, John and she were right about Kiki's. It is the bomb.

1 comment:

  1. Told ya so. ;) John wants to know when the Fedex box is arriving with our food.

    ReplyDelete