Sunday, July 12, 2009

Mediocrity rears it's ugly head


Had to happen right? not all the food could be great. Sooner or later we were going to hit a bump in our cross country culinary jaunt. Sunday afternoon in Flagstaff, Arizona at the Salsa Brava Cafe I had my first disappointment in the quality and taste of a food order. Let me quickly say the place was not all bad. As a matter of fact, Jeannie said the Chimichanga she ordered was the best she had ever had. She loved the light, pastry like batter and raved about the quantity and taste of the steak inside. I ordered a combination plate with a beef enchilada, green chile and carne adovada. When the plates arrived, I saw the cheese on the refried beans was not melted, this was a warning of things to come. The reason I ordered the carne adovada was I had tasted Jeannie's in Albuquerque and it had been wonderful. The only thing the two dishes had in common was the name. The meat was tough stringy and inedible. The green chile bore no resemblance to what we had been eating for the past few days. For my part, I was really disappointed. However, Jeannie made a better choice. It is one of the difficulties anyone faces when trying to recommend a place to eat. Two people at the same table have entirely different experiences. Oh well, if every place was exceptional how we would we recognize the truly great. That ain't much to offer, but it is late and it is all I have.


We are safe in our hotel. We saw the sunset from the South rim of the canyon. Simply unbelievable, literally beauty beyond words. We have pictures but I did not do the sunset and colors justice. I am not sure that it can be done but I am sure that I cannot. I will post more about the Canyon and the pictures tomorrow. It has been a long day and we are turning in. Night all.

No comments:

Post a Comment