Thursday, July 9, 2009


We made Austin about 5 PM (once again arriving in the midst of rush hour). Today was the first day without rain, we saw gas at $2.27 per gal, passed a long horn standing in a field, maybe it was the U of Texas Mascot, a steer named Bevo...probably not. After finding our room and unloading we went to the Green Mesquite BBQ. We both had the three meat plate, I had pulled pork, brisket and smoked sausage, Jeannie had pulled pork, brisket and ribs. She made the better choice, the sausage are now reminding me of why old men should not eat spicy food. The brisket was the best I ever ate, juicy with a great "bark" on the outside and a distinct mesquite flavor. All of it was great but the brisket was to die for. I love the motto of the place "HORRIFYING VEGETARIANS SINCE 1988"
Tomorrow it is Luckenback, Texas and Billy Joe Shaver. Coming up we will be on the road again (I-10) to El Paso and the worlds best Tex-Mex restaurant, a wonderful hole in the wall called "Kikis" then on to Las Cruces, NM followed by a day in Sante Fe, But I do not want to get too far ahead of ourselves. We are having too much fun.

1 comment:

  1. Are you enjoying all this BBQ with no Beer? In a previous message I think I heard,"When I was drinking". I'm probably no fun since you've quit drinking. ha ha. Congratulations, I still enjoy my Rum.
    Lee

    ReplyDelete