Wednesday, July 8, 2009

New Orleans 2nd Day

Last evening we went to "Mothers", the restaraunt was established in 1938 and claims to have the best baked ham in the world. I don't know about that but their jambalaya is amazing. We split their speciality sandwich "The Ferdi" and a bowl of Jambalaya. The Ferdi is a New Orleans "po boy" on French bread with ham, roast beef and to use their term "debris". They roast the beef on site and as they slice the beef they keep the burnt ends and beef juices. After making the sandwich, they use a spatula to scoop up parts of the burnt ends and juices and put that on your sandwich. That constitutes the "debris". My God! is it good! I may have had a better sandwich but I damned sure do not remember it. The jambalaya had lots of sausage and chicken, the rice was perfectly cooked and the overall dish was terrific. However, I will say this, about 4 AM I questioned how smart I was to eat that spicy sausage but hell, that is what tums are for.

This morning we made it over to Cafe Dumonde for cafe au lait and beignets. Jeannie says that I am not to tell anyone that she moans at how good the beignets taste. I know that New Orleans coffee is not for everyone but I have always loved the taste. This evening we are going to Michauls for some Zydeco music and Gumbo. Jeannie tells me that Crawfish Etouffe is one of her favorite Cajun dish, so tomorrow we will have her report.

Our plan is to be in Austin, Texas tomorrow afternoon and to explore Willie Nelson's old hangout and bar "The World Armadillo Headquarters'. We hope to have dinner at "Green Mesquite" for barbecued beef brisket. Til then, we are the travelling trolls.

1 comment:

  1. One year Mom has to take you to Kikis. Its worth going through El Paso. I love this blog!!

    ReplyDelete